Having depression during pregnancy can really happen to one out of five pregnant women in the world. If you have taken then pregnancy test and finally confirmed that you are expecting a baby soon, and yet you are not very ecstatic about that great news despite that everyone who also knew about it is very happy for you, you just can’t help but feel the otherwise.
Don’t feel guilty when you are feeling the depression during pregnancy. You are not the only person who feels that kind of anxiety. In fact, studies show that one of the main reasons why women feel anxiety during the time she is pregnant is because of the hormonal changes in her body that can actually make the brain’s chemistry to be disrupted.
Depression in pregnancy is very important to relay to your doctor because this one may lead to unwanted risks such as the following listed below:
- You will not be able to take good care of your baby inside your tummy or your prenatal care with be quite low.
- You are likely to have high blood pressure during pregnancy which is often termed as eclampsia.
You will also have a not so good weight gain.
- You have the tendency on not being able to eat well and not eating the right food that is suitable for pregnant women.
- You also might find yourself drinking alcohol or prohibited drugs.
And worst of all, depending on the intensity of anxiety you are feeling, you might find yourself ready to commit suicide.
Many women may not detect that they are having depression during pregnancy already. If so, you may want to see some common signs and symptoms of having this kind of anxiety so that you will be able to have it treated by your doctor immediately.
Signs and Symptoms:
- You can’t sleep easily.
- Nothing interests you. Not even knowing the development of your baby.
- You are aware of not being interested about your baby and you feel guilty about it.
- You don’t have enough energy and you always want to lay down.
- You cannot concentrate well.
- You can’t eat well.
- You are thinking about ending your life.
If you start seeing any of these while you are pregnant, immediately seek medical attention and don’t think of taking any anti depressant drugs without your doctor’s approval.